Re: DHCP & DNS [OT]

---- John Summerfield <debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> zephod@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > As promised, here are the results of my experiments on putting a DNS server on my Linksys router.
>
>8---snip---8<

> As one who has a Linksys wrt54g (one of those revisions that's
> compatible) I'm very interested in this, and any more information you
> can offer.
>
> In particular, what can you do now that you couldn't before?
>
> I've been sorely tempted to upgrade it to non-linksys firmware; one of
> the problems I have is it tends to die under load, requiring a reset,
> and if there's nobody around, a reset is fairly inconvenient.

I have an old the WRT54G that used to have v2.04.4 Linksys firmware.

The one thing I know I can do now that I couldn't do before is have DNS lookup for the machines on my local network. That feature is why I tried this.
You can go to the DD-WRT web site, the to the About page of the Wiki that will give an overview of the features. I am thinking of upgrading further from the mini version to the standard version because I think I might be able to create a bridge between the wireless network and the LAN. I need to do some more reading first.

So far no problems with the new firmware.

Steve.