Re: nvidia

> >> OK, I suppose it's possible.
> >
> > It is not merely possible. It happens all the time.
> >
> > But the mid-life 4.x distro is still
> >> providing firefox 1.5.x, subversion 1.1.x, evolution 2.0.x.  Are those
> >> things you'd want on your desktop much longer?
> >
> > That depends on what you want out of the desktop. If you want the latest
> > and greatest at all times, Fedora will serve that need. If you prefer
> > targeted fixes, commercial support etc, RHEL will meet that need better.
>
> I want something tested but not ancient.  Neither disto provides that
> except for the first few months after an RHEL cut.  But I'm usually
> happy with old kernel and server apps (except subversion and
> dovecot...). It's  generally just the desktop stuff that changes fast
> enough to care about.
----
the problem is and will always be the interdependence among the various
packages. While it may be convenient to look at things in a vacuum, they
simply don't work that way - one package update requires updates on
requisite packages which impacts something else down the line. The very
thing that makes you rich, makes you poor.

On Windows, software is self referenced so that there isn't the package
dependencies that you have with Linux. But that's also why each text
editor/word processor etc. doesn't have to include a dictionary on Linux
and why they all include a dictionary on Windows.

Craig