Re: nvidia

Frank Cox wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 15:19:59 -0500
> "Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> The C128 was interesting in that it had 2 processors. It would
>> switch to the Z80 processor when running in the CP/M mode. It also
>> ran CP/M 3 or CP/M Plus (Different names for the same thing.) so you
>> could use more then 64K of RAM using memory paging.
>
> It's my understanding that the CP/M mode of the C128 was very under-utilized
> and under-appreciated.
>
> I had a rather good accounting program that just happened to be a full-fledged
> database program as well.  I thought it was called "TAS: The Accounting
> Solution", but I just looked that up and there still is a "TAS: The Accounting
> Solution" and all they mentioned there was DOS so it might have been something
> else.  It was definitely CP/M; I remember that it came on Kaypro formatted
> disks and the Commodore 1571 drive read them with no problem.  I also learned
> dBase II on the C128 in CP/M mode.
>
> I had a fairly decent little collection of CP/M software for my C128, at one
> time....

I had only limited experience with the 128 - A friend had one. I was
on my third CP/M machine myself - this one had a 20M hard drive, as
well as both standard and double-density 5-1/4" drives. We found
that IBM-PC format made the best exchange format between us.

I still have a fair collection of software for CP/M - including Word
Star word processor, Personal Perl database, Both standard and macro
assemblers, a C compiler, modem programs, etc. I wish I could
legally add them to one of the CP/M software sites.

I used to write a lot of serial port and modem overlay files for the
modem program. (MEX?) Some were simple changes to add the carrier
detect bit, while others were full overlays for new hardware based
on the default template. I don't know if they are still floating
around. There should also be a Battle Ship type game and a Number
Squares game written in C out there someplace. (Text based.)

Mikkel