Re: Yum problem

On Saturday October 27 2007 5:18:47 am Michael Schwendt wrote:
> Hyperbole.

that's a high horse you ride

> The "(y/n)?" check during a pretty normal "yum -y update"
> comes very early, even before downloading the packages and
> also prior to the crucial transaction check. It is safe to use
> the normal "yum -y update" mode, provided that yum doesn't
> suffer from a serious bug.

indeed...

there was one of those as I recall in the past months, though the
details escape my memory at the moment

there have been many reportings of issues with automated
updating - it is not easy, but, it is possible to do things that
will cause disaster even on updates -- read all the 'helpful'
posts out there about enabling/disabling repos using text
editing, for example - enable rawhide and forgot to turn it back
off using such techniques, and see what can happen...

but, I don't wish to get into a debate - you're generally
right -- on matters having to do with updating systems, one has
to make decisions regarding trade-offs between convenience and
possible adverse results; I don't find the moment I spend
glancing at a list of updates/removals to be onerous

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA