Re: BIOS upgrading

Marcel Janssen wrote:

I wonder how other fedora users upgrade their BIOS when they need it and would be happy to hear about other creative and preferably simple solutions (but leaving the floppy drive on my dusty shelf).

My newer systems can update the BIOS from within the BIOS.

other than that, I kinda like the idea of making a freedos (or drdos) image in a 2.88 Mbyte floppy image and making a CD out of it. Done properly, the CD seems to be a 2.88 Mbyte floppy addressed as A:, and since most BIOS updaters figure on 1.44 Mbytes, 2.88 is heaps.

I have also (mis)used pcdos2000; I used to have an IBM disk or two, so IBM's Drive Fitness Test was a handy and legitimate download.

drdos is a free download.
At least one hw (Dell or HP, likely both) vendor uses freedos in-house.

If a mobo requires Windows, I won't buy it.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait