Re: [Fedora] Re: iptables: drop or reject?

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
Dropping packets from the ident port can potentially cause problems. Sometimes
servers will check back there to get a user id (this goes back to when people
mostly shared computers, it is pretty pointless today) and if you drop packets
things may stall until the connection times out rather than giving up
immediately after being told ident isn't available.
One of the first things that I always shut off, since the days of RH5, was the ident daemon and later on the port itself. I don't care to use it, I've never had problems not running it and I don't see any reason why I should either. I don't think this would be a problem either, but then maybe you'll prove me wrong.

--
W | It's not a bug - it's an undocumented feature.
 Ashley M. Kirchner <mailto:ashley@xxxxxxxxxx>   .   303.442.6410 x130