Re: Bug report

On Thu, 2007-10-25 at 14:56 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Ah, the makeactive thingie may have something to do with it.  That
> sets the "active" flag in the partition table on the disk so the OS
> marks that as /dev/sda.

I don't see why it has to have that effect.  It just means that this
partition is bootable.

> There can only be one "active" partition in the system.  DOS and early
> Windows systems use that flag to know where they were booted from.
> It shouldn't be necessary for a Linux kernel, grub or lilo.

I have a system with three drives, each have an active partition.  It
works without any problems, including being able to boot Windows from
one of them.  As far as I was aware, the issue was to help the BIOS
provide a list of which were the bootable choices, not the OS.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.