Re: Bug report

Karl Larsen wrote:

As you say I am a lot more involved than you are. You don't even know it happens I guess.

Nobody knows how it happens because you didn't fill in the steps to reproduce. Does it take a bios setting change to make this happen, or will it happen if you keep all your /boot partitions on the same primary drive with grub in the mbr (setting the kernel root to another drive), or are you chainloading a 2nd grub install on the other drive?

I'd expect the first method to keep things consistent other than when the device name conventions change among kernel versions.

I put the root and setup on the same thing, (hd5,3) which is disk 2. Disk 1 has root at (hd0,4) and setup at (hd0) and in the grub.conf it has a chainloader to disk 2.

This all works fine. But when disk 1 is booted it is at /dev/sdax. When disk 2 is booted IT is /dev/sdax.

That is the problem.

That's not a problem - it would be a problem if it didn't do that. Windows (and probably some other things) have to boot from the first bios drive and chainloader has no way to know what it is about to boot, so it has to make the drive first in the bios table as part of the chainloading operation. So when linux is booted, it sees it as the first drive too. The only problem is that you told it to do that, then filed the result as a bug...

If you don't want it to do that, copy the kernel and initrd you want to use into the linux boot partition on what you think is the primary drive and use the menu selection to pick those and set the kernel root on the other drive.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx