Re: [Fedora] Re: iptables: drop or reject?

Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
Manuel Arostegui Ramirez wrote:
In this case, I would choose to drop packets since they're not going to stop, it's better to do not increase the packets on your interface.
That's kinda what I thought too, however as far as the sending machine is concerned, because it didn't get anything back, it could potentially see it as a successful delivery and thus continue to deliver more and more crap. On the other hand, if it does get some kind of reset...

It won't continue the conversation if nobody's listening. I'd drop the packet so as to slow the culprit down.

Whether it has any measurable effect is subject to some debate, but I feel better that way;-)

I don't know a good reason to reject anyone's traffic other than mine.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait