Re: [Fedora] Re: iptables: drop or reject?

Manuel Arostegui Ramirez wrote:
In this case, I would choose to drop packets since they're not going to stop, it's better to do not increase the packets on your interface.
That's kinda what I thought too, however as far as the sending machine is concerned, because it didn't get anything back, it could potentially see it as a successful delivery and thus continue to deliver more and more crap. On the other hand, if it does get some kind of reset...

I don't know. I certainly don't want to increase my traffic, but I'd also don't want to give them any reason to believe that they reached me and then increase the amount of crap they're sending.

This all started because a few days ago I started getting 3 servers that are in the Hurricane Electric network sending a ton of spam e-mails to invalid user names on my network. Ever since I started dropping their packets, the flow of activity from those 3 machines increased dramatically. What used to be just a few packets every minute has now gone to some 5 to 10 packets being dropped every second.

E-Mails to them is simply being ignored...at least, I have yet to hear anything back or to see a change.

Mind you, the same thing is happening with a lot of other networks that have been spamming - their activity has also increased over the last few weeks, basically since I started dropping packets instead of using hosts.deny (which would send a deny packet back.)

--
W | It's not a bug - it's an undocumented feature.
 Ashley M. Kirchner <mailto:ashley@xxxxxxxxxx>   .   303.442.6410 x130