Re: Can Galeon still run under Fedora 7 (or 8)?

On Thu, 2007-10-25 at 20:36 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> 	When I tried to run "yum update" under F7, it choked on Galeon,
> because of a gecko-libs dependency. I told it "yum remove gecko-libs" ;
> it took a whole bunch of other stuff with it; then I told it "yum install
> <other stuff>", in two or three stages.
>
> 	It installed all the other stuff except Galeon.
>
> 	I tried things like "yum install gecko-libs," and it told me that
> was supplied by some other app -- but not which.
>
> 	Neither rpm -q, nor slocate, nor find, nor beagle-gui can find
> it. I have Firefox and Epiphany running. So I tried installing Seamonkey.
>
> 	That succeeded.
>
> 	But I still get this Catch-22 :
>
> [root@localhost ~]# yum install galeon
> Setting up Install Process
> Parsing package install arguments
> Resolving Dependencies
> --> Running transaction check
> ---> Package galeon.i386 0:2.0.3-11.fc7 set to be updated
> --> Processing Dependency: gecko-libs = 1.8.1.5 for package: galeon
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> Error: Missing Dependency: gecko-libs = 1.8.1.5 is needed by package
> galeon
> [root@localhost ~]# yum update gecko-libs
> Setting up Update Process
> Could not find update match for gecko-libs
> No Packages marked for Update
> [root@localhost ~]#
>
> 	Is there hope?? I do see a couple of threads on
> gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general about firefox and about dependencies
> that mention what seems essentially the same trouble; but they only
> confuse me the more, alas!

gecko-libs is supplied by firefox.  The easiest way to do updates until
the gecko-libs dependencies are fixed is to simply exclude firefox from
the update request via "--exclude=firefox*".  Once the new firefox and
gecko-libs is out (version 2.0.0.9?), then things should get better.

In your case, if you installed FireFox 2.0.0.8 (the broken one), then
you really need to uninstall it, go find the 2.0.0.5 version somewhere
and install it.  Then your dependencies should be fine.
- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-                      LOOK OUT!!! BEHIND YOU!!!                     -