Re: yum update / install from file

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 10:17 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Aaron Konstam wrote:
>>> Will yum handle the lf chars in the file filename? I don't think so.
>>>
>> I think it is more a matter of how the shell handles them, isn't it?
>> The $(cat filename) will be expanded by the shell. I believe the
>> shell will pass them to the program just like they were space
>> separated on the command line.
>>
> Evidently but it seems strange to me. cat filename certainly includes lf
> chars.

I suspect it is part of the design of how the shell handles the
output of a command that is embedded in the command line. The lf is
treated the same as any other whitespace. You may want to experiment
 to see some of the other differences - things like the fact that
quotes, embedded commands, and other special characters are passed
to the command unaltered by the shell.

"first last" will be split into two parameters and the "s passed as
part of the parameters. ($1="first and $2=last")

Mikkel