Re: smartd.conf changes lost

Tim:
>> Have a look at the very top of the smart configuration file:
>>
>> # *SMARTD*AUTOGENERATED* /etc/smartd.conf
>> # Remove the line above if you have edited the file and you do not want
>> # it to be overwritten on the next smartd startup.
>>
>> I removed those two lines, and uncommented the DEVICESCAN option

Steven Stern:
> Thanks!

How did you go?  Today I noticed the following in my log file, but I
haven't yet explored any further about it:

 --------------------- Smartd Begin ------------------------

 /dev/sda :
    Usage: Load_Cycle_Count (193) changed to
      99,
    Usage: Temperature_Celsius (194) changed to
      220, 203, 189, 183, 253, 220, 189, 196,

 **Unmatched Entries**
 Drive: DEVICESCAN, implied '-a' Directive on line 18 of file /etc/smartd.conf
 Problem creating device name scan list
 Device /dev/sda: ATA disk detected behind SAT layer
   Try adding '-d sat' to the device line in the smartd.conf file.
   For example: '/dev/sda -a -d sat'

Despite what it says.  To the best of my knowledge, my HDD is actually a
SATA drive, and the motherboard pretends its PATA.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.9-91.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.