Re: /dev/sda and /dev/hda

Styma, Robert E (Robert) wrote:

Please clarify how you're choosing which device to boot.
BIOS or GRUB?
If GRUB, please show us your current configuration.
Remapping options
may confuse things, for instance, and may not be needed.

There was a long thread on this when F7 was in test.  I
seem to recall that the final recommendation for a dual/multi
boot system was to put labels on all partitions (even the
swap can take a label) and use the labels in the grub.conf
file and the /etc/fstab file.  This should produce consistent
results regardless of what SD gets assigned where.

Bob Styma

OK so you recall the Experts talking about the SD things being changed at the whim of something. I will then send my Bug which will explain what I am seeing and why it is so bad if your trying to trouble-shoot a grub.conf. But I do see why you MUST use LABEL on F7.

I am 72 years old and like Linux, and have used it for over 10 years. I like F7 but it may not matter because after I make a bunch of label's I may loose touch with what I have. It also says I will not be happy with more than one hard drive.

Thank you for verification of my experience.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User