Re: Rootkit

El Lunes, 22 de Octubre de 2007 23:48, Dave Burns escribió:
> Exactly. So there are three contexts in which you are using the tools:
>
> 1) Not sure you've been hacked, just suspicious or vigilant.
> 2) Sure you've been hacked, have not yet rebooted, looking for information.
> 3) Sure you've been hacked, rebooted using a CD (e.g. knoppix) or
> other known-good /.
>
> In situation 1 and 2, you can't totally trust your tools, unless
> they're giving you bad news. In situation 3 your can trust the tools
> as much as you can trust the "known-good /" where they are located. So
> you're never totally sure you're in the clear.

Well, in case 2, you'd not be 100% confident, rootkit are there and they might
installed one on your system, so, let's start to doubt :)

> I guess the truly paranoid might boot from a CD and do an audit
> periodically, I guess that might make me feel pretty confident. Hard
> to automate it (and may open  up new vulnerabilities), no one wants it
> happening during ordinary working hours, and I don't want to be doing
> it by hand outside ordinary hours. Yuck.

Good point, that's totally crazy in production enviroments.

> >To evalue my general system security I use babel
>
> Is that comparable to nagios, or more security oriented?

Well, I'm one of the main developers of Babel, so don't take this as a spam,
it fits perfectly in this scenario.
It's security oriented, Babel performs a security level check of the machine,
or hardening. The check consists of a number of auditing tests that obtain a
snap of the security status of each machine. The result is a security index
of the system that is given after each execution.

Just totally off-topic, I'm just curious, Dave, do you speak spanish?
Un saludo!!

Manuel
--
Manuel Arostegui Ramirez.