Re: Is there any way to 'force' a yum install/update?

> > I saw a nice trick in a linux cookbook or server hacks book that
> > showed a script that basically audited your system for libraries and
> > binaries that were not known about by rpm and yum and built an empty
> > rpm that just updated the dependencies and clued in the databases
> > about the orphans.

"Linux Cookbook" by Carla Schroeder, starting on page 22. There's a
"linux cookbook" by another author, accept no substitutes.

> When you install a RPM something by yum, it updates the RPM database.

Okay, okay, I am being sloppy lumping yum and rpm together. Those guys
are database savvy, as opposed to ./configure, make, make install that
are database oblivious. Okay, so yum cheats by using rpm, it still
will keep things straight. Certainly didn't mean to cast aspersions of
rpm, though I find the situations where it is preferable for installs
few and far between. But how could I live without rpm -qf and rpm -Vv?
Dave