Re: Is there any way to 'force' a yum install/update?

Would this do it?

Download rpm you want to install.

yum erase package

#to get rid of the old one. this will be a problem if it is too low
level hence no -y, in case you need to chicken out. Or you could
always make a list of things that got uninstalled along with it and
reinstall them after. Then

yum localinstall new.package.rpm

localinstall installs an  rpm located on the local host instead of the
repository so that yum's database stays up to date/knows about it. yum
will also use the repositories to satisfy any missing dependencies.

This is the best way to install packages that are not yet in the
repositories - get or make a binary rpm (from source rpm or maybe from
the zip file if you are an rpm wiz), then use localinstall to install
it.

I saw a nice trick in a linux cookbook or server hacks book that
showed a script that basically audited your system for libraries and
binaries that were not known about by rpm and yum and built an empty
rpm that just updated the dependencies and clued in the databases
about the orphans. Personally, I try hard to avoid installing anything
without yum, so I haven't actually transcribed the script (it was
long).

Dave