Re: not possible

Tim wrote:
On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 06:28 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
LABEL=/ used by F7 only tells me that it is a partition. I have zero information as to where it is.

While the default's bad, your own names can be much more descriptive.

e.g. A label of "mainboot" for the boot partition on your main drive.

Replaced by "/dev/sda3" tells me exactly where it is.

No it doesn't.  Something like "/dev/hda3" would (the first IDE drive,
third partition).  But "/dev/sda3" requires you to know which drive the
computer considers is the first drive, at the moment.

Well now that is something I did not know. I have been using fdisk to tell me what is going on and if it says /dev/sdf3 I use mount and it mounts /dev/sdf3 as I desired on F7. I got my SATA drive working as /dev/sdf and it seems to be happy. Of course Grub thinks it is /dev/sdb which is a real shock to me.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User