Re: FC7 hangs on SB16

raagu _ wrote:
> hi Guys,
>   Regarding my earlier mail.
> //////////
> FC7 hangs on SB16
> I have Biostar M7VKQ mother board with built in sound card AC'97 2.2 Audio
> CODEC. There is also an external sound card Sound Blaster 16 which I have
> attatched. The problem is that the onboard sound card is working fine. It is
> when I make the SB16 sound card work by making it default that the audio
> plays for some time and the FC7 hangs. I then have no option but to do a
> hard reboot
>
> I tried reinstalling the latest version of ALSA drivers/ utils/ lib
> packages but have had no luck.
> Would apperciate any solutions given
> //////////
>
>    I tried the 'Repeat' play option in 'Soundcard Configuration' tool.
> During this the system never hung. I thought this may help to
> understand the defect better.
>    If it is concluded that it is h/w pblm. then kindly let me know how
> can it be avoided if any.

What version of the SB16 do you have? I am guessing that it is one
of the PCI versions. If so, it could be an interrupt sharing
problem. Running "lspci -v" as root should show you the interrupts
(IRQ) being used, and show if the SB16 is sharing one with something
else. If so, you can try putting it in another slot.

I would also look in /var/log/messages for error messages
timestamped just before the system locks up.

Mikkel