Re: OT: Colorado Rockies computer's crash which OS?

At 8:43 PM -0600 10/22/07, Ski Dawg wrote:

>>http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-rockies-seriestickets&prov=ap&type=lgns

>> The story does have the name of the company though (Paciolan) and
>> if you search for their job openings you'll find them recruiting
>> on college campuses for folks with Oracle, DB2, java, and Linux
>> experience, so it seems likely that Linux is the underlying
>> system.
>
>Maybe they have decided to move to Linux from their current platform ;)
>
>Anyway, there has been an update that says the site was down (in fact
>they claim their entire North American operations where impacted)
>because of an attack from an unknown source(s).

Ever wonder how all the tickets for some event sell out in less than a
minutes?  Ticket resellers hire others to do distributed attacks on ticket
seller sites, so that all the tickets are sold to the resellers.  Doing
that just a bit too hard could crash most anything, and result in no
tickets sold.  So it may have been an attack, or it may have just been
ticket reseller fraud that had the effect of an attack.  There's big money
involved, with ticket markups of 100x, so there may have been more than the
usual number of ticket reseller hired attacks this time.

They need big servers to sell all the tickets as fast as the ticket
resellers are trying to buy them, but those big servers don't serve their
intended customers at all, because they have to pay huge markups to the
ticket resellers to get tickets they should have been able to buy for a
modest markup.