Re: Experiencing the Grub Error 17

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007, Ed Greshko wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> >> GRUB has support for LVM and RAID since version 1.95. Multiple
> >> volume groups don't work with GRUB 1.95 however. This bug has
> >> been fixed in CVS, so if you have multiple volume groups you
> >> should get the latest version from CVS.
> >
> > ok, i stand corrected.  i did a quick google on that before i
> > posted, and the first few (recent) hits seemed adamant that grub
> > didn't yet have support for LVM.  my bad.  sorry.
>
> Actually, I sort of had second thoughts about what I wrote after I wrote it.
>  I believe that 1.95 is the pre-release of the grub2 project.  The
> version of grub supplied with F7 is 0.9X (forgot what the X is) and
> looking at the changelogs there is no mention of support being added
> for LVM.

on my current "yum update"d f8t3 system, i have:

$ rpm -q grub
grub-0.97-19
$

i had no idea there even *was* a grub2 project.  and, like you, i did
a quick check of the grub changelog and didn't see anything regarding
LVM so, for now, i'm going to assume grub (v1) doesn't handle /boot
being a separate logical volume until i hear differently.

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://crashcourse.ca