Re: Experiencing the Grub Error 17

Paul Smith wrote:
> On 10/22/07, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 22/10/2007, Paul Smith <phhs80@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Thanks, Tim. I did as you suggested, and there was some progress: no
>>> errror, but when booting, it gets in the Grub command line. Any
>>> further ideas?
>> You haven't posted your grub.conf yet.
>>
>> At the GRUB command-line you can try "find /grub/grub.conf". If it
>> succeeds, try loading the file with "configfile /path/here".
>
> My grub.conf file:
>
> # more /mnt/sdc2/grub/grub.conf
> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
> #
> # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
> # NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
> #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
> #          root (hd0,0)
> #          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
> #          initrd /initrd-version.img
> #boot=/dev/hda
> default=0
> timeout=5
> splashimage=(hd2,1)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> hiddenmenu
> title Fedora (2.6.22.9-91.fc7)
>         root (hd2,1)
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.22.9-91.fc7 ro root=/dev/VolGroup/LogVol01
> rhgb
>         initrd /initrd-2.6.22.9-91.fc7.img
> title Fedora (2.6.22.7-85.fc7)
>         root (hd2,1)
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.22.7-85.fc7 ro root=/dev/VolGroup/LogVol01
> rhgb
>         initrd /initrd-2.6.22.7-85.fc7.img
>
> Paul

Hi Paul,
 Sorry for the delay - busy day.

I think a big part of your remaining problem is that you did not
update your grub.conf to reflect the BIOS mapping. Because of this,
Grub is looking for its files in the wrong place. If you change all
the hd2's to hd0's, things should work better. You will have to run
setup from the grub prompt, or run grub-install after booting from
the Linux drive. This because Grub uses the BIOS to access the
drive, so your config file has to reflect the BIOS mapping. When you
boot from the Linux drive, the drive becomes hd0 instead of hd2. You
should not need any map directives, and the kernel should boot fine
because you are a label to define the Linux root directory.

Mikkel