Re: BIOS problem?

Karl Larsen wrote:

I have two hard drives in my computer. I have this F7 on a IDE hard drive and while on this drive it is /dev/sda. No problem now but the second drive is a Serial Cable type and it shows up as /dev/sdf. No problem with that either.

It all falls apart when I use the Serial Cable hard drive. It becomes /dev/sda and the IDE becomes /dev/sdb.

What's installed on the SATA drive?
   Soon it will be F7 64 bit new install.

I think the BIOS is doing this. Does anyone else have a similar problem?

I think it's not the BIOS. Linux generally ignores the BIOS for disks.

   Well then it will be interesting to see what is going on.

Add-on cards sometimes have an option to disable their own bios which you should do if you don't want to boot from them. Usually if you boot from a drive it remains mapped into the first position but if you don't it will be later in the list. The motherboard bios may also give you an extensive choice (or not...) about what order to check for bootable devices. 'Dmesg' will show the linux device probe sequence and discovery order, assuming things worked well enough to get that far.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx