Re: How can I prevent terminal boot messages from being cleared

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
: You can sometimes pause the display using Ctrl-S or the Pause key.
: Printing the screen from the CLI is harder. I used to use something
: like "cat /dev/vcs1 > screen.txt" or "cat /dev/vcsa1 > screen.vcsa",
: but a normal user can no longer do that. If you have gpm running,
: you can copy and paste using hte mouse buttons to save the text to a
: file.

Last evening, while trying to uncover why an LVM root filesystem
wouldn't successfully complete the boot process, I discovered that (at
least on my system, a Dell 490 Precision Workstation) the Scroll Lock
key stops the VT scrolling.  What's more, it also appeared to halt the
boot process near the point of the push.  For when I re-pushed it, the
scrolling began again at the same place and speed.  In other words, I
didn't get a bunch of high-speed lines sprayed to the VT from a
buffer.

I just tried this again to be sure.  Indeed, the boot seems to halt
near the time of the push.  Disk activity stops.  It starts up again
on the next push. Very nice!

I suppose the BIOS (or the kernel?) is absorbing the keystroke and
sending a PAUSE to the CPU.

Dean