From: fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of bob.smith@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2007 11:34 AM
To: For users of Fedora
Subject: RE: Newbie Info

Danny Mooney <danny-mooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> kirjoitti: sounds windowsish, never used anything like defrag on linux, on the other
hand there is fsck(or was it?). I think so, with that you can check also
non-linux partitions if I remember correctly.
'man fsck'

So in this type of OS files don't get fragmented?

Dan
www.osagecountycycles.com
www.immaculateconception-pawhuska.org
www.nhs1967.com
918-287-4780

Hi Dan, what everyone means is that linux's default filesystems work differently than NTFS does. Ext3 (or 4) doesn't suffer from performance degradation from file fragmentation like NTFS does. With NTFS if you get a high fragmentation level, you will see your system performance almost disappear. There /was/ a defragmenter for linux at one time, but I do not know if it even exists any more.

In other words, you shouldn't need to worry about that in linux much at all.

--
Recedite, plebes! Gero rem imperialem!

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support