Re: wpa_supplicant.conf for F7 for WPA-PEAP

On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 14:53 +0000, Mike C wrote:
> Adam Hough <adam <at> gradientzero.com> writes:
>
> > Have you tried NetworkManager with with your laptop yet? I am guessing
> > that you are actually missing a cert for you work's wireless network
> > that you will need to get connected and authenticated to the network.
>
> Thanks Adam - for offering some help here.
>
> I have rather nervous about using NetworkManager due to so many having problems
> with it including discussions about it not working with F8 due out soon. Also
> the last time I used NM it messed with various internal settings and stopped my
> manual wireless link from working when i could not get NM to work. However maybe
> NM has matured somewhat in mroe recent times, and perhaps I should now try again.
>
> Thanks for the web link - I have essentially tried the same supplicant set up as
> in your example, both with and without ca_cert. I am told that the Verisign root
> certs can be used (I downloaded them from Verisign, but was not sure which
> certificate file was needed but tried various of the files that appeared), since
> the radius server certificates here were signed by Verisign.  However I also
> read that it should not be necessary to use the ca_cert parameter and it should
> still be possible to connect with PWA +PEAP encryption but in that case the
> server certificate is not verified by the client software. So it is more secure
> to verify the server certs but I am now wondering if for some reason the
> verification IS required by the Fedora version?
>
> > Here is an write up that tells you basically what you need.  But you
> > will need to get the cert that your work is using.  I would ask one of
> > your colleagues for what they did as they will know more about your
> > network.
> > http://grok.lsu.edu/Article.aspx?articleId=1470
>
> The only help I have been able to get is from colleagues who say that they used
> NM in Ubuntu and Debian and that it connects without any problem. I have a copy
> of a supplicant setup file from the other distros where it does work, but
> whataver combination of parameters in my system I draw a blank. Perhaps it is
> necessary to have the ca_cert file in place and referenced correctly but the
> advice I had did not yield a working system.
>
> In fact the only example I had was to download the Verisign root files as a zip
> file and unzip. The SecureServer.509 file was what I was told was needed but
> that is a binary file. All the examples of PEAP setups seem to refer to .pem or
> .crt files which are text files, and none are in the Verisign zip file, so I am
> stumped!

As I said it works for me. I have inserted no certs nor have I configured wpa_supplicant.
On top of that Ubuntu until yesterday when 7.10 was released has an
obsolete version of NM relative to f7. f8 will have the latest version.

Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active.
-- Leonardo da Vinci