Re: Grub Manual

On 18/10/2007, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday crashcourse ca> wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Oct 2007, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
> >    For example look at this working grub.conf entry:
> >
> > Figure 3:
> > title Fedora (2.6.22.9-91.fc7)
> >        root (hd0,5)
> >        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.22.9-91.fc7 ro root=/dev/sda5  quiet
> >        initrd /initrd-2.6.22.9-91.fc7.img
> >
> > From our work above we are not interested in the title but we want
> > to figure out what the root is. It says hd0,5 which means in words
> > hard drive 1, partition 6 which can be also written /dev/sda6.
> >
> >    Notice kernel and initrd and see they are just written as, for
> > example kernel /vmlinuz... This means the two files are in the root
> > directory.
>
> no, they're not.  but don't let that stop you from disseminating yet
> more misinformation.  it's what you do best, karl.
>
> rday

There are only two "roots" when dealing with GRUB. First, the system's
root directory, which is located on the root partition. Second, GRUB's
root device, specified with the "root" command in GRUB. Let's stick to
the terminology and not confuse "root directory", "root device" and
"GRUB's root device". GRUB's root device is not a root directory. On
GRUB's root device, the files usually are located at the root of the
partition's file-system, but that's neither mandatory nor relevant.

P.S. Concerning some of the off-topic msgs about Karl still opening
too many new threads for every tiny change in topic, yes, it's
tiresome. Simply adjust the "Subject" a little bit and keep the
messages in the old thread until the thread ends due to a period of
inactivity.