Re: Grub Manual

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007, Karl Larsen wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > On Thu, 18 Oct 2007, Karl Larsen wrote:
> >

> > >    For example look at this working grub.conf entry:
> > >
> > > Figure 3:
> > > title Fedora (2.6.22.9-91.fc7)
> > >        root (hd0,5)
> > >        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.22.9-91.fc7 ro root=/dev/sda5  quiet
> > >        initrd /initrd-2.6.22.9-91.fc7.img
> > >
> > > From our work above we are not interested in the title but we
> > > want to figure out what the root is. It says hd0,5 which means
> > > in words hard drive 1, partition 6 which can be also written
> > > /dev/sda6.
> > >
> > >    Notice kernel and initrd and see they are just written as,
> > > for example kernel /vmlinuz... This means the two files are in
> > > the root directory.

> > no, they're not.  but don't let that stop you from disseminating
> > yet more misinformation.  it's what you do best, karl.

>    And you are so stupid you make these total wrong statements. Of
> course the files are in the root or / directory since they are in
> their own partition. Thanks for all your help rday. I could not get
> anything done without it.

*sigh*.  i swore i wasn't going to descend into the intellectual abyss
anymore this way but ... what the heck.  karl, here's an excerpt from
my very own /etc/grub.conf file for the kernel that is currently
running on this system:

title Fedora (2.6.23-6.fc8)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23-6.fc8 ro root=/dev/f8/root rhgb
        initrd /initrd-2.6.23-6.fc8.img

and yet, astonishingly, despite the grossly inaccurate information
you've presented above, neither my kernel nor my initrd file are in
the root or / directory, as you so obviously claim.  now, karl, why do
you think that is?

and, no, i'm not going to give you the answer.  i'd like to see if you
can figure it out for yourself.

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA