Re: Does the font look weird on this site?

Tim:
>> Short answer:  Webpage author is a moron.

Craig White:
> don't hold back now - tell us what you really think.

They don't know what they're doing, and they're making things difficult
for their readers.

> FWIW - I looked at the site on my Windows system.
>
> Firefox 2.0.0.6 looked pretty much the same as on Fedora Firefox
>
> Internet Explorer 7 it looked much better...but the left column type
> was larger than on Firefox.

That'll just depend on what fonts you have available on each, and how
your display is rendered.

> Thus the web designer might need to tweak for other browsers or other
> browser users need to know about <Control><Numeric keypad + > switch
> to enlarge the type

Users shouldn't have to do that sort of thing, at all.  The author has
picked the smallest font possible.  Using absolute sizes in HTML, they
range from 1 to 7.  One is smallest, two is smaller than normal, three
is normal, seven is largest.  Or, to put it another way, one is fine
print.  That's a *stupid* size to pick for headings or body text.

The moron side of that comes in two parts:  (1) not knowing that it's
stupid to do such a thing, and (2) not adjusting their own monitor for
their own prefences instead of stuffing up the page.

Unless there's good reason, and there wasn't, authors shouldn't mess
with font sizes on webpages.  Especially with body text.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.9-91.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.