Re: Ipods

Richard Shaw wrote:
> I recently acquired a iPod 4G 20GB (Greyscale) and only got the firewire
> cable with it. It seems to work fine with F7 (everything in dmesg seems
> fine), however it seems to lock up Gnome for 30 seconds or so. It opens a
> File Browser window that stays blank for about 30 seconds then come up...
> All open applications still respond but nothing with the desktop does.

If you can borrow a USB cable from someone, it might be worth testing
with that to see if the issue is with the firewire or not.  The whole
firewire subsystem was redone in the kernels that came with F7, and
that may cause some new bugs.

> BTW, can anyone tell me the proper way to change the volume name?
> The previous owner (my sister) changed the volume name (under
> windows) and I haven't found an easy way to alter it.

You should be able to use the mlabel command, from the mtools package,
to set the volume label.  This will print the current label for the
partition at /dev/sdb2:

su -c "mlabel -i /dev/sdb2 -s ::"

To set a new label:

su -c "mlabel -i /dev/sda2 ::Richard's iPod"

(I haven't used mtools to set a label like this for a long time, and
I'm not sure if the space or apostrophe is handled or not.)

There are old pilots, and bold pilots, but no old bold pilots.