Re: Video rendering differences Nvidia/ATI

Tim wrote:
On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 19:55 +0200, Gérard Milmeister wrote:
I noticed differences of video (XV) rendering between the nvidia on my
desktop and the ati on my notebook, both with the proprietary drivers.
http://math.ifi.unizh.ch/fedora/tmp/nvidia.png
http://math.ifi.unizh.ch/fedora/tmp/ati.png
As one can see (with magnification if necessary), the nvidia is much
smoother than the ati. Both screenshots have been made of a running
totem (gstreamer) and a zoom setting of 2:1.

That's "aliasing" differences between them.  Though I don't know whether
that's a configuration or capability difference.  Post exactly what
cards you have, and your xorg.conf files, and somebody may be able to
point you in the right direction.

Exactly.
Both nvidia and ati cards should support antialiasing, but it's not clear how to set it up by default. I think your major difference is the one between desktop and laptop. Laptops tend to have less powerful GPUs (and usually share RAM with the system), so you can't expect such options to be enabled by default. Another thing to note is that the image you posted for nvidia has fuzzy text, while ati version has nice and crisp text. That may just be your system setting, though..
BTW, why are proportions different in the two images?

Using official driver in win, there's an option to enable antialiasing in [video] overlays and/or 3d accelerated windows. No idea how to enable it in Fedora, properly. I've set my mplayer to use video output driver gl2 "X11 (OpenGL) - multiple textures version" - and it applies antialiasing then. Looks very nice.

HTH