Re: Error 16: Inconsistent filesystem structure

Le mer 17/10/2007 à 20:08, John Summerfield a écrit :
> Doug Purdy wrote:
> > Le mar 16/10/2007 à 05:03, David Timms a écrit :
> >> OK, good work. It seems:
> >> - sdb1 is marked with a partition type ext2, but hasn't been formatted
> >> with that file system yet. To be sure, perhaps try fsck.vfat and others,
> >> which should also fail... If so depending on the size you might like to
> >> make this your /home partition. Another alternative is to mark it as
> >> LVM, then add it to the VG0, and then extend an existing or add a new LV
> >> within that space.
> >
> > Thanks for sticking with me Dave. I tried fsck with vfat, msdos, ntfs,
> > reiser, ext 2 & 3 to no avail. I got the list of superblocks for block
> > sizes 1024, 2048 and 4096 but they didn't help either.
>
> This is my favourite way of finding what's on an unknown disk:
> 08:05 [summer@numbat ~]$ sudo dd if=/dev/hda1 count=20 | file -
> 20+0 records in
> 20+0 records out
> 10240 bytes (10 kB) copied, 0.000206112 seconds, 49.7 MB/s
> /dev/stdin: Linux rev 1.0 ext3 filesystem data (needs journal recovery)
>

> oddly, this fails here if I give file more data!. It also does not
> recognise LVMs.

Thanks John. Fedora 7 won't give permission for redirecting that output
to a file but it works fine with "of=file" or with "| less." I can see
my new partition label "quixote" after 2000+ bytes but to know more I'll
have to locate a program for viewing binary files and some info on what
bytes to expect at the beginning of the ext3 file system.

I have run fsck on partitions sdb1 and sdb2 without it complaining. I've
glanced through "info grub" and grub is made to boot file systems from
other drives so that shouldn't be the cause of the Error 16 unless it
wants to find a copy of itself in the mbr location of Linux disks?

Maybe I should play with grub to see if that turns up any clues. The
error comes after grub has loaded from the mbr of ntfs disk sda and
maybe even later. It complains of error 16 and when I press a key it
always successfully displays the file system menu from Linux disk sdb2.
Grub reliably makes it there from ntfs disk sda, so where did it find a
file system problem? Can we rule out sda? After I select a file system,
it *usually* works. Anyway, grub is complaining while fsck says my 2
ext3 partitions are okay, so maybe grub needs a look.

Learning how to use grub would let me put grub on the sdb mbr. Maybe by
some weird magic that solves the interrupted boots? ;)

Thanks for your reply John, if you have any more comments I'd be glad to
hear them.

Doug