Error 16: Inconsistent filesystem structure

I installed Fedora 7 from Christopher Negus' Fedora 7 and Red Hat
Enterprise Linux Bible book, left it a week, and then spent a few hours
trying to figure it out before I let it update. After the reboot it
complains of Inconsistent filesystem structure, offers two kernels and
"Other" in Grub but will only boot "Other." I don't see what is
inconsistent. Suggestions appreciated.

Here's what it says:

root (hd1,1)
 Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type is 0x83
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.22.9-91.fc7 ro root=dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb
quiet
   [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1e00, size=0x1d4854]

Error 16: Inconsistent filesystem structure

Press any key to continue...

Then, when I press a key Grub appears:

GNU GRUB version 0.97 (639K lower / 1309680K upper memory)

Fedora (2.6.22.9-91.fc7)
Fedora (2.6.21-1.3194.fc7)
Other

Selecting either Fedora kernel just repeats the above.

Fedora is installed on the second ATA drive in the machine. It was an
NTFS disk but Fedora wouldn't install until I used fdisk and mk2fs with
the book's Fedora Live CD and I created ext3 partitions which I had
marked as type 83. Then anaconda did a uneventful full install.

I have my FC2 box to get things done in the meanwhile.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Douglas