Re: GRUB Question

John Pierce wrote:
No I still think the correct thing is to ignore the boot sector on sdb
and just add a normal kernel booting stanza in the grub.conf on sda that
refers to the kernel on sdb. I now realize you may have to have a
softlink from /etc/grub.conf on sdb to the grub.conf in /boot on sda.

Well, I solved the issue by having the mandriva installation place the
boot loader in the first sector of sdb1 and chainload that sector.

You do bring up some interesting thoughts though, with the grub.conf
file being from two different distros how would the mandriva update
handle the stanzas for fedora.

A soft link might be the way to go though.

I think chainload IS the proper approach. I need to know more about the need to put the second system boot sector in like /dev/sdb1 so chainload will work. I hope this not required but it sure can be :-(

There can not be a need for any link to another place. I'm sure Grub alone can do the job if you can find the way. The current manual is terrible.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User