Re: transplamting RAID-1 drives

Jack Howarth wrote:
>    I ran into an interesting problem which I wonder if
> anyone has some insights into. The motherboard on a
> i386 Fedora 7 workstation died recently and we hoped that
> the existing SATA RAID-1 mirror could be moved into a
> new workstation using an opteron processor. The machine
> could find the MBR to start the boot process but couldn't
> find the md partitions to complete the boot. Interestingly
> booting i386 Fedora 7 in linux rescue mode presented no
> problem in mounting the same md partitions. The only
> difference I noticed was that the new motherboards BIOS
> showed a channel 0 with the IDE devices (DVD+/-RW) and
> a channel 2 and 3 with the two SATA drives. However under
> the linux rescue mode the two SATA drives appeared to be
> mounted the same (as sda and sdb). I am rather puzzled
> as to what aspect of the RAID-1 configuration could be
> causing the transplant of the RAID-1 mirror to fail.
>          Jack
> ps I eventually transfered the data off the drive and
> started with two new SATA drives with x86_64 Fedora 7
> although I realize I probably could have chrooted the
> sysimage under i386 Fedora 7 and reinstalled grub
> on the MBR.

One possibility is that the new controller needs a different driver.
This is not a problem for the rescue mode, as the kernel can load
the drivers off the CD/DVD. But when you boot from the RAID array,
the drivers need to be in the initrd file, or build into the kernel.
Because the BIOS is used to load the kernel and initrd image, you
are still able to start booting.

If this is the problem, then building another initrd, with the
correct drivers, should fix the problem.

Mikkel