transplamting RAID-1 drives

   I ran into an interesting problem which I wonder if
anyone has some insights into. The motherboard on a
i386 Fedora 7 workstation died recently and we hoped that
the existing SATA RAID-1 mirror could be moved into a
new workstation using an opteron processor. The machine
could find the MBR to start the boot process but couldn't
find the md partitions to complete the boot. Interestingly
booting i386 Fedora 7 in linux rescue mode presented no
problem in mounting the same md partitions. The only
difference I noticed was that the new motherboards BIOS
showed a channel 0 with the IDE devices (DVD+/-RW) and
a channel 2 and 3 with the two SATA drives. However under
the linux rescue mode the two SATA drives appeared to be
mounted the same (as sda and sdb). I am rather puzzled
as to what aspect of the RAID-1 configuration could be
causing the transplant of the RAID-1 mirror to fail.
         Jack
ps I eventually transfered the data off the drive and
started with two new SATA drives with x86_64 Fedora 7
although I realize I probably could have chrooted the
sysimage under i386 Fedora 7 and reinstalled grub
on the MBR.