Re: SELinux last straw

On 17/10/2007, Jacques B. <jjrboucher@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >SELinux may
> > APPEAR to be the root cause of all your problems.  But it may only be
> > part of a chain reaction rooted somewhere else on your system.
> > SELinux may not be the cause, but perhaps the messenger, the visual
> > cue, the "chain" that you've now developed tunnel vision for and blame
> > for everything.
> >
> > Jacques B.
> >
> Turn off SELinux and you may actually be simply medicating the
> symptoms, not treating the root cause.

Exactly. I find it alarming that when confronted with symptom "SElinux
is throwing lots of warnings and errors that programs are trying to do
things not allowed by their security context" that Karl's first
reaction is to assume that there is a fault with SElinux, rather than
there's a security problem with his machine. For example, if my box
had been hacked, and then SElinux avc's were occurring, I would
seriously consider the possibility that SElinux is correct, but that a
rootkit had been installed on my machine.