Re: stupid sendmail

Alexander Volovics wrote:
On a laptop on which I have been trying out F8 test3 I decided to
not use my standard postfix/mutt/fetchmail/procmail setup but make
do with claws-mail instead. So I just left sendmail (not needing it) with the default install
configuration.

I'm also using F8 test 3, with the default sendmail configuration.

To my surprise I see constant error messages when getting mail from
Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Namely:
- Tried to mail output of jon 'cron daily', but mailer proces
  (usr/bin/sendmail) exited with status 65
- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
  root
    (reason: 553 5.5.4 <root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>... Real domain name
     required for sender address) (expanded from: root)

I don't see that problem in my logs:

Oct 11 12:59:09 herald sendmail[30907]: l
   9BJx9m6030907:
   from=<root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   ...relay=localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1]
Oct 11 12:59:09 herald sendmail[30906]:
   l9BJx9fO030906: to=root, ctladdr=root (0/0),
   ...stat=Sent (l9BJx9m6030907 Message accepted for delivery)

Use 'rpm -V' to check your installation:

# rpm -V sendmail
S.5....T c /var/log/mail/statistics

Then make sure that your sendmail.mc still lists localhost.localdomain as a LOCAL_DOMAIN:

# grep ^LOCAL_DOMAIN /etc/mail/sendmail.mc
LOCAL_DOMAIN(`localhost.localdomain')dnl

Possibly, remake your sendmail.cf:

# cd /etc/mail
# make

Finally, make sure that localhost.localdomain is still listed in /etc/hosts. I think I've seen at least one report on the list that the hosts file was emptied out, and the other day mine was, too. I haven't yet tracked down what might have caused that, but perhaps yours has been emptied as well.

Wouldn't it be neater to configure sendmail to perform these simple
duties without these hiccups.

It's supposed to be.  You've found a bug.  Thus is the life of a tester. :)