Fedora8 - Intel 4965agn card does not work correctly

Hi all,
I installed fedora-8 onto Dell Vostro 1400. We are trying to use the intel 4965agn card on this laptop in ad-hoc mode.
1)The iwpriv command does not allow me to set the modulation scheme to 802.11a,b,g ( returns "mode" command not found).If I try "iwpriv wlan0" I only see that the commands param and get param are implemented. Here are the commands I ran:
 iwconfig essid "potato" mode ad-hoc
 ifconfig wlan0 addr 192.168.10.5
 ifconfig wlan0 down
 ifconifg wlan0 up
After I set the address of the card to 192.168.10.5 and try to ping it from another machine in the same ad-hoc network , it does not work.It looks like this card is not answering the ARP queries being sent out in the ad-hoc network.  Ping works if I try to ping the other direction first and
 then ping from the other machine to this machine.
2) I set
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/wlan0/forwarding =1
 /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/wlan0/accept_source_routes =1 .
But it fails to forward any packet routed through it.

Does anybody have an idea of how to get the card to behave properly?.

Thanks,
Kiran

Chat on a cool, new interface. No download required. Click here.