To: "For users of Fedora" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, October 12, 2007 8:59 AM
Subject: Re: Video streaming

Darwin Streaming Server
http://developer.apple.com/opensource/server/streaming/index.html
I've heard it mentioned frequently but have no personal experience
It's Apple but it's open source, it does Quicktime and and mpeg-4. If the OP
must stream avi/Xvid, this is not going to work for him, but, if he's not
wedded to avi/Xvid, this bears a closer look

My understanding is that during the battle between the streaming
proprietaryware over the last decade there was one very clear winner:
flash / .flv.

If you can transcode your source to .flv, the vast bulk of viewers will
be able to eat it with their browser without additional installation of
anything other than the flash they already have.

-Andy