Re: Video streaming

On Fri October 12 2007, Andrew Kelly wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 02:32 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 11:00 -0400, Joe Tseng wrote:
> > > I've been asked to set up video streaming on our intranet using
> > > preexisting AVI/XviD files and I'm somewhat at a loss as to what I
> > > should or could be doing.  I've downloaded and set up VLC on an F7 box
> > > and was able to set up a single stream using the GUI.  At this point
> > > I'm able to view the stream using mplayer, but I'm only able to stream
> > > one video at a time.  Is there some other way to do this so a user can
> > > view whatever videos we have available at any time rather than having
> > > to explicitly deploy the file stream in VLC?
> > >
> > > BTW I already tried out Darwin and that didn't work for me at all.  I
> > > could play the sample files Apple provided, but I could not use any of
> > > my own files.
> >
> > I'd like to know, too. I am about to do this, but haven't yet. So, the
> > walls you're banging your head against, I will be banging into soon. If
> > you get any sort of answer or figure it out, please clue me in. Thanks!
> > Ric
>
> Yes, add me to that list as well, please.
>
> Andy

Darwin Streaming Server
http://developer.apple.com/opensource/server/streaming/index.html
I've heard it mentioned frequently but have no personal experience
It's Apple but it's open source, it does Quicktime and and mpeg-4. If the OP
must stream avi/Xvid, this is not going to work for him, but, if he's not
wedded to avi/Xvid, this bears a closer look
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA