Re: 2.6.23 kernel

On 10/10/07, Res <res@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, Karl Larsen wrote:

>   That is a real bunch of words that mean little to me. As for "roll your
> own" this takes me back to Red Hat 5. Then you had no choice. But today I
> wait for yum update to bring me the one rolled up by the Fedora Experts. I
> have had good luck with them.

If I want to let a vendor decide what I will and willnot have in a core
component of an OS I'll switch to M$ :)

and yes I prefere roll your own, I'm not going to ever need  98% of for
example the network devices that come configured, conversley I'm not going
to watch bluetooth, sound and 60% of the crud they include on a production
server, that means theres 60% more security risk

The vast majority of these things are compiled as modules in the vendor kernels.  So, unless you are really tight on disk space I fail to see the validity of your argument.

--

Cheers
Res

Slackware -V- sloooUbuntoooou