Re: 2.6.23 kernel

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, John Wendel wrote:

Scott Henson wrote:

I thought the entire reason there is no 2.7 kernel is that the
kernel.org people are doing active development on the 2.6 line and that
makes kernel.org kernels a little unstable.  This applies even more so
to freshly released kernels.  I would wait at least for 2.6.23.2 and
even better consider recompiling the current Fedora kernel as it has
many improvements and bug fixes.  IMO, the bleeding edge isn't very fun.

Don't be a wimp! Seriously, if you've got some spare time and a non-critical box, you should build 2.6.23, beat it up, and file bug reports. It's the way we non-kernel-developers can contribute.

Exactly :)

Even use an online production server thats not critical like NNTP server, with the use they get you soon find any anomalties, I've done it in the past when SATA first came about, helped resolved a few kernel bugs since the SMP kernels were highly unstable with them because it was all new.

--

Cheers
Res

Slackware -V- sloooUbuntoooou