Re: 2.6.23 kernel

Res wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, Rohan Kulkarni wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>         I saw on www.kernel.org that the 2.6.23 kernel has been released
>> but yum update kernel does not update the kernel to that version.When
>> will
>> it be available for Fedora?
>
> Much safer to remove the fedora ones and only use the kernel.org
> sources, roll your own, your kernel install will shrink 10 fold and IMHO
> performs better as its compiled against your setup.

I thought the entire reason there is no 2.7 kernel is that the
kernel.org people are doing active development on the 2.6 line and that
makes kernel.org kernels a little unstable.  This applies even more so
to freshly released kernels.  I would wait at least for 2.6.23.2 and
even better consider recompiling the current Fedora kernel as it has
many improvements and bug fixes.  IMO, the bleeding edge isn't very fun.