Re: Fedora server

> On Mon 08 Oct 2007, Kam Leo wrote:
>
>> > I asked some days ago about a small home server,
>> > and now I have more or less decided on the specification:
>> >
>> > 1. A Mini-ITX machine, almost certainly VIA EPIA
>> > 2. Fanless
>> > 3. Using an 8GB or 16GB flash card (not a flash IDE disk)
>> > rather than a hard disk
>> > 4. I don't need any graphics, so poor graphics is fine
>> > 5. Running Fedora.
>> >
>> > Has anyone experience of a machine along these lines?
>> > Or any advice on where to get one?
>>
>> What functions will the server perform?  Use a hard drive. If you need
>> access to swap your flash drive will not last very long.
>
> A. I would expect it to serve: httpd, sshd, sendmail, mysql, dovecot.

httpd:  Are you planning on running any server side languages like PhP,
Java, Perl and the like?  If so, these can quickly us up lots of memory
and do like to be stored on the swap.  I have 2gb of memory in my home
server and it still uses the swap regularly (I don't know how many times
it is hit during the day.  Is there an easy way to tell?).

sendmail:  Anti-virus and spam filtering go well with email servers.  And
they can really put a machine to the test.  I use mailscanner, clamav and
spamassassin.  They use lots of resources.

If it was me, I would find the smallest laptop drive and go for that.

believed to be clean.