Re: How to update alsa driver manually

On Wednesday 10 October 2007 22:37, Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 October 2007 22:06, antonio montagnani wrote:
> > 2007/10/10, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> > > I've had no need to update manually the alsa driver as the soundcard on
> > > my 2 machines works fine, but for the sake of experience I want to know
> > > how to upgrade an alsa driver for my current kernel on Fedora7.
> > >
> > > My latest kernel is 2.6.22.9-91.fc7, and I have the kernel headers for
> > > this kernel.
> > >
> > > I have a bunch of alsa drivers downloaded, but putting aside the hg
> > > ones, as I think you need to install the mercurial package to install
> > > these, I'm looking at wanting to install alsa driver 1.0.15rc3 (current
> > > version for the kernel above is 1.0.14).
> > >
> > > Anyone willing to give me a step by step in upgrading the alsa driver?
> > >
> > > Any help on this really appreciated.
> > >
> > > Nigel.
> > >
> > > --
> >
> > Have a look at this thread a few days old, and you will find a step by
> > step procedure
> > No sound with Intel ICH8 (Realtek 268 chip)
> > --
> > Antonio Montagnani
> > Skype : antoniomontag
>
> yes I saw that thread when trying to help someone on the alsa-user list
> that has a problem with sound using a Acer Aspire 5720 notebook. I see that
> you got sound fixed with Fedora 7, and Fedora8 with this notebook.
>
> I found the instructions a bit difficult to follow, but I bookmarked the
> page, and will check it out again.
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Nigel.

Having looked at the page again, it's not helping. What I'm looking for is
just updating the alsa driver. I don't use yum, but apt, and this is what's
on the page.

Try this if you want to:

http://justinconover.com/blog/2007/08/16/1420-dell-inspiron-and-fedora-7/

# yum groupinstall "Development Tools"
# yum install mercurial
# cd /usr/src

# mkdir alsa && cd alsa
# hg clone http://hg-mirror.alsa-project.org/alsa-driver
alsa-driver
# cd alsa-driver
# hg clone
http://hg-mirror.alsa-project.org/alsa-kernel alsa-kernel
# ./hgcompile && make install
# echo options snd-hda-intel model=3stack > /etc/modprobe.d/sound
# reboot (to make sure it sticks, or if the test before didn't work)

What yum groupinstall "Development Tools" actually installs, I've no idea, but
I already have development stuff installed.

Then, yum install mercurial. I don't want to work with the hg alsa drivers
yet. The rest of the info is to do with hg stuff.

All I'm looking for are some simple idiot proof instructions for upgrading the
alsa driver for my kernel. I'm not interested in any changes to modprobe.conf
being made, as my soundcards on both machines have no problems.

All I want to do is learn how to upgrade the alsa driver for my current
running kernel.

Suggestions please from those folks that are clued up, and willing to help an
ignoramus.

Nigel. aka the ignoramus