How to update alsa driver manually

I've had no need to update manually the alsa driver as the soundcard on my 2
machines works fine, but for the sake of experience I want to know how to
upgrade an alsa driver for my current kernel on Fedora7.

My latest kernel is 2.6.22.9-91.fc7, and I have the kernel headers for this
kernel.

I have a bunch of alsa drivers downloaded, but putting aside the hg ones, as I
think you need to install the mercurial package to install these, I'm looking
at wanting to install alsa driver 1.0.15rc3 (current version for the kernel
above is 1.0.14).

Anyone willing to give me a step by step in upgrading the alsa driver?

Any help on this really appreciated.

Nigel.