Re: Read Only File System

tony.chamberlain@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

I heard sometimes if linux encounters errors in a disk it will remount it as read only.

Yes that's correct. I believe it's a tuneable option for ext3 filesystems (man tune2fs)

A mount -l however shows it as

/dev/sdb1 on /home2 type ext3 (rw) []

and ls -ls on it:  4 drwxrwxr-x  9 root cusload 4096 Oct  3 10:19 /home2
So it appears to be writable.

Unfortunately mount can be misleading in this respect. It shows the options used to mount the filesystem at mount time, not it's current state.

Doing antyhing like > /home2/test or vi /home2/test (or any subdirectory)

gives errors though about not being able to write (or read only file system).

Any idea what is going on?

You almost certainly have disk errors on this partition, type dmesg or have a look in /var/log/messages where you'll probably see lots of disk error output. Take the partition offline if possible and run fsck on it.

--
Ian Chapman.