Re: F7-x86-64 Stopped Booting - GRUB Issue - Fixed!

On Tue, 2007-10-09 at 22:34 -0700, Raymond C. Rodgers wrote:
> The solution was as I had originally guessed: I needed to make a new
> copy of the boot sector, and place it [in a file] on my Windows XP
> boot partition for NTLDR via boot.ini to load and use. Once I did
> that, Fedora booted just fine.

This seems odd, as I've seen no evidence to suggest that the boot sector
gets altered by updating a kernel, when you're using grub as your
bootloader.  After all, you can use the same boot record to boot either
kernel, and since the changes are in the grub.conf file, there's no need
to make changes elsewhere, as well.  Lilo's another matter, though.

I can, quite easily, believe that Windows may have simply stuffed the
file up that you'd previously used through NTLDR.

I think the obvious test would be to take that boot record file from
before the kernel update, and compare it to the one after the update.
Use the "diff" command.

If they are the same, as I expect, that means you're chasing a red
herring.  If they're not the same, you'd have to work out if that's just
co-incidental, or if there really are kernel-dependent changes in the
boot record.

--
(This box runs FC7, my others run FC4, FC5 & FC6, in case that's
 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.