Re: F7-x86-64 Stopped Booting - GRUB Issue

On 10/9/07, Raymond C. Rodgers <rh@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Up until this past weekend, I had a very happy dual boot configuration
> with Windows XP (32 bit) and Fedora 7 x86-64 on my machine. It had been
> a few weeks since I had last booted Linux, and I hadn't had any problems
> with it before now. I got the latest kernel and other updates via yum as
> I normally do, but when I went to reboot, all I got was a simple text
> message saying "GRUB" in the upper left hand corner of my screen, and
> that's all I've gotten ever since.
>
> I just tried to do an upgrade install of Fedora 7 to fix the issue, and
> specifically told it to replace the boot loader configuration on the
> proper partition, but that didn't work to correct the issue. A little
> more detail is that I'm using the Windows XP boot.ini/boot configuration
> to load WinXP or to load GRUB which in turn loads Linux. Could this be
> an issue where I need to get a new copy of the boot sector for F7?
> (Booting the rescue CD, and getting the first 512 bytes of the boot
> partition, and copying it over to the Windows partition so it can
> properly init everything?) If not, what should I do to recover this
> installation?
>
> Thanks,
> Raymond
>
> P.S. For the record, SELinux is disabled if that helps any.
>
> --

Check out
http://www.pmg.lcs.mit.edu/~chandra/install/install_dualboot.html

Go down to section 7 (although this may only apply to Lilo so not
sure) and see if that sounds familiar.

Also I found the following at
http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.html

"# When I select Linux from the boot menu, I get a frozen "GRUB" (or
an "L" in the case of LILO)
# Make sure you created the linux.bin file correctly with the dd
command. If you think you ran the command correctly, the problem may
be that your /boot partition is beyond cylinder 1024 and your BIOS
can't reach it. At system startup, the Windows boot loader lists the
choices from boot.ini. When you select Linux, the boot loader then
loads the 512-byte linux.bin file, and then BIOS tries to access the
/boot partition to run GRUB. Some BIOS implementations can only
address the first 1024 cylinders of a hard drive, which corresponds to
~8.5 GB. How do you fix this? Create your /boot partition before
cylinder 1024; i.e. before ~8.5 GB."

Does this scenario sound familiar?  Did you have to create a linux.bin
file or a BOOTSECT.LNX  file on your Windows box?  If it, it sounds
like a kernel update may require that you rebuild either applicable
file in order for it to work again.

Having said that you are getting the grub prompt so it would appear
that the Windows boot loader is pointing to the right place for your
grub boot loader.  Which brings us back to a likely grub.conf
configuration problem.  But before suggesting how to trouble shoot
that I'd like to make sure that what I suspect is happening (as per

Jacques B.